Monday 31 January 2011

Vodafone Sure Signal - first impressions

Having been used to having a very good O2 signal in the house, it came as a shock to get frequent long periods of no signal on my new company Vodafone mobile.

Looking at their coverage map it indicated perfect coverage indoors and outdoors - ie nothing like what I was experiencing!

On the page was a link about improving your indoor signal, so I clicking this and it took me to a page about sure signal. A box of similar size to a broadband router which effectively acts as a private Vodafone mast in your house, using the internet to provide the link into Vodafone's core network. It allows you to register upto 32 numbers into it, and then use upto 4 of those numbers at any one time.

Perfect, I thought and so I checked the minimum criteria:

1. 3g phone - tick
2. Broadband speed above 1Mbps - tick

So I went to the Vodafone shop and bought one for £50. I brought it home and plugged it in, power cord into the wall, and supplied Ethernet cable into the back of the router - easy so far!

Now to register the unit and setup the numbers. The instructions told me to register it at this page - so I follow the instructions and attempt to create a new account - however this then got referred to Customer Services, because my number is on a corporate account. 24 hours later I get an email asking the lead name on the account to give them a call!

There must be an easier way than this! So I check the suresignal forum here and find a post detailing a dedicated registration page for business customers

I therefore filled in this form and the next page says you should receive a txt message within 24 hours to say the unit has been activated. That was Friday lunchtime and it is now Monday lunchtime and no txt message. So I call the helpdesk on 08454 402104 to see what is going on. When I got through to the correct department, I was told the period to wait is 72 hours, but she would do it now for me. So I gave all the details again, and got the system activated and received the txt message a couple of minutes after ending the call.

I did however explain I wanted to add 1 additional number, which the operator informed me was not possible at this time. However 5 minutes after ending the call, she rang back saying she was on the same screen and as it was now activated, the additional number screen was available and that she would do it for me - a nice touch.

I came home later and now find my mobile signal strength bar is at full strength. I've had no dropouts all evening - so it does appear that the suresignal box us going exactly what it is supposed to!

Overall first impressions are therefore a good piece if kit, which does what it says it will, however the registration process needs to be much simpler and quicker! 7 out of 10

1 comment:

  1. Most of the customers are knowing that Vodafone has created its own mobile signal booster which extend signal strength to distance up to 10000 sq ft. I am Vodafone users and i have installed its quality signal booster which provides stronger signal.

    ReplyDelete